Trees are the ultimate multi-taskers. They provide many aesthetic, environmental, social, and economic benefits to urban, suburban, and rural communities. Here's a list of their many contributions to our daily lives compiled from PHS's Philadelphia Green website:
- Trees provide beauty, color, and shade, making communities more attractive.
- The environment is cleaner and healthier because of trees.
- Trees prevent flooding.
- Trees absorb air-borne pollutants and store carbon, which can slow global warming.
- The cooling effect of trees helps alleviate the “heat island” effect of large metropolitan areas.
- Trees and greenery increase the sense of wellbeing and relaxation.
- Trees boost property value.
McLean Library Staff
McLean Library of PHS
100 N. 20th Street, 1st floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Hours: 9:30 - 5 Monday - Friday